Our Strategic Direction 2019 - 2024
NZAO: The voice for optometry and optometrists
Our vision: A trusted and recognised optometry profession meeting the needs of New Zealanders in providing excellence in eye health and vision care.
Our mission: To champion, develop and support optometry and optometrists in partnership with members and stakeholders.
Strategic Goals and Key Focus Areas
Our strategic goals:
- Our membership is skilled, evidence-based, connected,
engaged, future-focussed and diverse.
Our key focus areas:
Ready access to resources, guidelines, insights, intelligence and standards.
A future focussed optometry profession.
- Innovative and high impact research and scholarship.
- Standards for patient protection in vision and eye care.
- Impactful professional development and learning opportunities for members.
Growth and Sustainability:
The association is equipped to deliver the strategic
goals in alignment with its vision and mission.
- NZAO's vision, mission and value is clearly articulated through NZAO's key communication platforms - the website, TVC and E-News.
- Effective and efficient governance through attracting, developing and retaining mission-driven and engaged council members.
- Membership 90% (or higher) of APC holders.
- Structures and functions promote member participation.
- Diversity and inclusiveness within NZAO's membership and leadership.
- National office staff have the support, structure and capability to deliver NZAO's desired outcomes.
- Strong financial performance and financial controls ensure NZAO is well resourced to meet the demands for services.
Visibility and Advocacy:
Optometrists are recognised as:
- the foremost authority on primary eye health and vision care
- the first choice providers for eye health and vision care
- the primary authority on matters related to standards of vision
- Effective strategic stakeholder relationships.
- Member experts in different fields can be called upon for clinical expertise or as media spokespeople.
- Optometry has a high profile as an essential primary health care profession.
- There is high public awareness about vision and eye care.
- NZAO's brand is well known and perceived positively.